Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Preparing for a Vegetable Garden





This summer we want to plant our first vegetable garden!  A garden will supply us our own healthy, fresh, and organic vegetables, at what I think will be a fraction of the price.

 Because we are renting, we are considering container gardening- anyone have any experience with that?



I was reading through my February issue of Martha Stewart Living and saw that she was beginning to prepare for her gardens this coming month.  According to Martha, February is the time to draft your planting plan for spring.  I'm guessing she knows what she is talking about, so I'm starting my planting plan now too!  

First up is a wish-list of veggies we would like to grow this year:

Pinned Image

  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow Summer Squash
  • Strawberries
  • Bell Peppers
  • Broccoli
  • Onions
  • Leafy greens
  • Potatoes
  • Green Onions
(We may not be able to do all of those- but it's a wishlist)

We also want to start an indoor container garden for herbs including:
  • Basil
  • Rosemary
  • Cilantro
  • Parsly
I would love to do our herb garden in something like this, but I'm concerned about there being no drainage.  


I'll probably do something more along these lines:

Pinned Image




Do you have any gardening advice for a newbie?


3 comments:

  1. Growing the best plant garden! Eating grape vine ripened garlic and refreshing harvested ingrown toenails and pumpkin are a amazing cure to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! You should be able to grow all of those veggies in pots, and some maybe even now, depending on your growing zone. Here in 8B, broccoli and leafy greans only grow well over the fall/winter. Potatoes also grow well in the cold, so long as it doesn't freeze.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found interesting idea according your topic. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...