Sunday, December 4, 2011

Wax Paper Garland Tutorial

 

I made a  faux capriz shell garland out of wax paper  for our Christmas tree.  I promised a tutorial and here it is!  This is one of my favorite DIY projects to date, and I hope you enjoy the tutorial!  if you have any questions just let me know!

Materials needed:

  • Wax Paper
  • Iron
  • Towel
  • Large circle paper punch (mine is 1.5 inches)
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine and thread

(thanks to my sweet husband for taking these photos and video for me…they were taken on his iphone, so the quality isn’t very great.  But you’ll get the idea)

Step #1

Find a hard surface you can iron on and place a thin towel on top of the surface.  (I used our kitchen counter)

Step #2

Tear off 3 sheets of wax paper (as long as you want, but I just did about 2 foot sections at a time). 

waxpaper1

Step #3

Line the sheets up evenly and place on towel. Begin lightly ironing over the three sheets.  They will begin to fuse together. 

wax paper2

It will look like this one ironed

waxpaper12

Step #5

Trim the ends so that they are even.

waxpaper4

Step #6

Begin to fold the wax paper back and forth in an accordion style fold.  (Making sure that the folded surface is large enough for your circle punch)

waxpaper5

waxpaper6

Step #7

Taking half of the accordion fold at a time, begin to punch out your circles.

waxpaper8

waxpaper9

Step #8

Once all of your circles are punched, look through to see if any need to be trimmed

waxpaper10

Step #9

Begin sewing your garland together on your sewing machine.  It is easier to just show you than explain it, so we did a short video clip to help you understand.

 

 

Once you’ve sewn all your circles, you can make more cirlces to make longer garland strands or cut and make several smaller.  I opted for several smaller because I am too impatient and wanted to see what they looked like on the tree!

waxpapergarlandchristmastree

I was inspired by these this tutorial for a garland and this tutorial for a chandelier

7 comments:

  1. The garland is really cool! I like the chandelier on the linky tutorial, too. Maybe I'll have to make up one of those for my daughter's bedroom. (I Think I even hung onto a skeleton light-shade) Thanks for the great tutorial. YOu make it look really easy.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garland came out great!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty - and just stitching them altogether! Very easy. It's got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute project! So pretty on your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garland turned out just beautiful! I'm searching for projects I can do now to get a jump on the holidays. This is perfect.

    I would love it if you would share this at my new 12 Days of Christmas in July linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/twelve-days-of-christmas-in-july-linky.html

    I can’t wait to get organized for a peaceful and frugal holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GENIUS! I absolutely love this!! That's getting a pin...now if I can get myself to actually do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made some wax paper garland and I'm in love!
    thanks!

    mia
    meandjilly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...