Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Last week I made my first homemade spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes.


I'll be honest, we didn't like it very much!  It just tasted like fresh tomatoes- which is good, but not what we were hoping for.  Maybe it's because we ate it with spaghetti squash instead of actual spaghetti, but I just didn't like the tons of veggies taste.  (I know, that sounds bad, I should love veggies!)

I used this recipe, but used dried basil instead of fresh- perhaps that was the problem?

Perhaps I'll give it another go eventually, but for now we'll stick with the jarred stuff :)

1 comment:

  1. I make my own marinera sauce, and we love it (though, I can't take credit for the recipe, it's an old secret from my husband's family). When using fresh tomatoes, I have to cook it forever. And ever. When I make sauce from canned tomatoes, I cook it 4-6 hours. But with fresh tomatoes, I have to cook it a lot longer so it isn't watery. I also add red wine to my sauce, and I like the extra richness it lends.

    Also, I love my sauce zesty, but 2 whole onions to 4# of tomatoes is way more than I use.

    One last thing: when making sauce, I don't bother to peal my tomatoes. I just quarter them and wiz them up in the food processor. If I want some chunks, then I'll hand dice a tomato or two, but too many chunks makes for a sauce that separates with the big pieces on the bottom of the pot, burning. (Well, at least for me, since I have lots of distractions to keep me from stirring the sauce as often as it needs.)

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...