Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

Tuesday morning I went out on a limb and decided to attempt making some homemade whole wheat tortillas.  I'm so glad I did! 

As I've said before, Jeremy and I really want to eat healthy and live healthy lifestyles, and we part of that is cutting out as much processed foods.  I decided that instead of buying loaves of bread full of high fructose corn syrup I would attempt making our own bread and tortillas.  I've not got to the bread yet, but I'm fairly pleased with the tortillas.  They are quick and easy and taste great!

Here is what you need:
1 Cup of White Flour (I used unbleached organic white flour)
1 Cup of Whole Grain Flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp canola oil (I used vegetable oil)
2/3 cup of water (I used hot water)


Directions:
Combine flours, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl

Add oil and water and mix together until dough forms


Flour flat surface and knead dough

Form dough into 7-8 balls (You can dredge these and flour and save them for later in the fridge if you want)


Roll balls out thin, flipping between turns


Place tortilla in an ungreased pan on medium high heat.  Cook on each side about 40 seconds. First side should be pale and sprinkled with brown spots and the other side will be blotched.


Continue with other balls until finished.  Stack together to keep warm. 

Serve and enjoy!




I used one for a sandwich wrap for my lunch and plan to make tacos for Jeremy tonight!

I need to learn to make them a little thinner (maybe a real rolling pin would help, I used a glass cup), and make them into circles. 

Recipe modified from here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...